There's nobody like Nanette. Our H&M artist just gets it. Every. Single. Time.
We sat down with her after our runway show to get the lowdown on the inspiration and process used to achieve the makeup look for our Resort 21 collection.
ABOVE: NANETTE SETS UP HER BASE CAMP IN OUR CONFERENCE ROOM AT SIREN HOUSE TO GET THE JOB DONE.
ABOVE: INSPO FOR THE LOOK- GLOWY SUNBURNT WITH A POP OF BLUE.
1. PREP: Moisturize skin with a serum & moisturizer. We used Vitamin C Revive oil Serum & Neutrogena Hydro boost Moisturizer
ABOVE: NANETTE PREPS KATIE WITH SERUM DROPS.
2. FOUNDATION: Combine a few drops of BECCA Cosmetics Glow Silk highlighter, color "champagne pop" with your foundation for a dewy, luminous glow. We used DIOR backstage face & body foundation. Buildable coverage & plenty of skin shades to work with.
3. CONCEAL: Use concealer sparingly. Only in areas you absolutely need it- like dark circles, sides of nostrils that tend to get redness, or any blemishes you may have. Her concealer of choice is TOO FACED born this way concealer.
ABOVE: NANETTE EVER SO GENTLY TAPS CONCEALER TO THE UNDEREYE AREA. SHE USES A SMALL, SLIGHTLY ANGLED BRUSH TO GET INTO THE INNER EYE CORNER AREAS AS BEST AS POSSIBLE.
5. CONTOUR: Carefully build a more chiseled face by applying a darker foundation shade around the upper forehead, along the ears/cheekbone, and jaw/neckline with a brush. We used STILA stay all day foundation in shades "tan" & "deep"
ABOVE: NANETTE CONTOURS ELIJAH BY DABBING HER BRUSH INTO A DARK FOUNDATION. SHE FOLLOWS ALONG HER UPPER FOREHEAD, CHEEKBONES, AND CHIN/NECK TO FRAME.
6. BURN: Our favorite part of makeup- the sunstrip. Look for a shade that is dark pink for that "burnt" effect . Put it everywhere; on cheeks, nose, forehead, chin & neckline, shoulders, and eyelids. Our faves are GLOSSIER cloud paint blush in shades "STORM" & "PUFF". This product runs high on viscosity. Play around with a brush, fingers, and beauty blender to find your preferred method of application.
7. LINE IT: This step takes some practice. Line the outer & inner corners of the eye with a fine tip blue liner. We absolutely recommend going with a liquid liner for precise application. Nanette uses WET-N-WILD voltage blue megaliner.
ABOVE: NANETTE GENTLY LINES THE INNER & OUTER CORNER OF ELIJAH'S EYE. SHE TAKES HER TIME DOING SO, MAKING SURE THE PRODUCT DRIES BEFORE GOING IN TO LENGTHEN THE LINES. EVENTUALLY BOTH UPPER & LOWER LINES MEET, CREATING HER ICONIC V-SHAPED CORNERS.
8. LASHES: We prefer to work with each model's natural lashes. We don't use falsies. For this show Nanette used a blue mascara to help drive home the pop of color we were looking for. She applied the coats gently, allowing proper drying of each to build up the pigment. Subtle, yet effective- she opted for MAYBELLINE deja blue Snapscara.
ABOVE: TATIANA'S BLUE LASHES HELP KEEP THE EYELINER MINIMAL- THEY CARRY THE PIGMENT ACROSS THE EYE WITHOUT HAVING TO APPLY A FULL HEAVY LINE ACROSS THE ENTIRE EYE. THIS HELPS KEEP THE OVERALL MAKEUP LOOK NATURAL, FRESH, AND LIGHT.
9. BROWS: Fill in brows by gently carving out their natural shape. Start slow & light, then slowly build to ensure a natural feel. Fill in empty spots by drawing tiny lines in the direction the hairs around it grow, mimicking the appearance of hair- not a pencil. We used GLOSSIER brow flick, shade "brown"
ABOVE: NATALIA AND KATIE BOTH SHARE A PERFECTLY FEATHERED BROW MOMENT. PHOTO: MANUEL VELEZ
10. LIPS: Our preference with the sunstrip is to keep the lips feeling slightly dry/chapped. We like to make the face feel as bare as possible to focus on the sunburnt look. To achieve the look this time Nanette opted for MAYBELLINE liquid lipstick #55 "driver". A matte texture helps mimic the feeling of a dry lip. She applies it sparingly alongside the outer corners of the mouth, leaving the very inside lightly glossy and allowing the natural lip's color to pop a bit further.
ABOVE: NANETTE CAREFULLY APPLIES THE LIQUID LIPSTICK ALONGSIDE THE OUTER EXTREMITIES OF THE LIP, LEAVING THE INNER POUT NATURAL, TO REFLECT MORE LIGHT AND A SLIGHT POP OF PINK/CORAL COLOR.
ABOVE: A CLOSE UP OF TATI'S LIPS- YOU CAN SEE THE INNER LINE OF HER LIP BRING FORTH A FLUSH OF PINK TO THE LIP. AN ODE TO CINDY, WE WERE FEELING 90'S INSPIRED SO WE GAVE HER A BEAUTY MARK BY HER LIPS. 👄•